Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Reading Is Fundamental


I do not claim to be an expert in the field of linguistics nor in the field of childhood-literacy, there are people far more committed, and whose personal accomplishments eclipse the infinitesimal efforts I am currently engaged in.

A few months ago I was given a copy of the Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading, the title is self-explanatory and the book is basically a comprehensive step-by-step instructional manual for teaching Phonics-Based Reading.

Within six weeks of using this book, on an inconsistent program schedule (due to my current obligations) my family and I have been rewarded with a priceless gift; the joy of hearing our four year old daughter exclaim; "I read it, I can read. I read that sentence"! What a rush! That little voice-with those few words-penetrated my spirit, stricking my soul with a force of innocence and beauty that still causes it to vibrate with elation.

These words can not convey the feelings that accompanied me during this breakthrough. Her emancipation from illiteracy to literacy has stirred up emotions that lay deep inside cavernous areas of my consciousness; as a child, teenager and even into college; I struggled to read a few books at most!

Now out of college and in the "Big World" what was I to do? After assessing my situation, I felt my only option was to apply the, philosophical teachings of some, "Ghetto Fabulous-Rhodes Scholars" I met, who introduced me to their "collective doctoral thesis"; entitled; "Fake it until you make it"-- to my surprise, it worked, I got out of the situation I was in, and moved on!

I am sure Stephen R. Covey would not agree with my problem-solving approach, but I can not blame him, not everyone is cut out for philosophy.

I feel obligated to share a piece of personal advice: Children, please do not try this at home!

I don't think my "non-reading" was a result of my not wanting to read or a lack of interest in literature, but rather it grew from the overwhelming intimidation I encountered once words were transferred and then compiled into these things we call books.

These "demoralizing monsters" of pulp and ink instilled a fear level in me that numerous threats, personal conflicts and physical confrontations had never reached.

In retrospect, I can identify and pin-point, many factors that contributed to the state of mind I found myself "in" or "out", depending on how you look at it.

Sorry for the tangent, but sometimes they are required, to create "contextual-clarity" for the reader, who then shares in the alchemical-process that produces who we are as individuals.

Anyway, this is about childhood-literacy, and a great book that is founded upon an early tradition (Phonics-Based Reading), a system, which has weathered powerful unyielding storms of criticism to prove its timeless value.

The ability to work with my daughter and help her acquire the tools needed for childhood-literacy has been the greatest form of therapeutical-retribution for myself.

It is my hope, (God willing) that our current efforts will usher in fundamental changes within the lives of my children and their children, enabling them the confidence to firmly grasp and utilize the keys that unlock the treasure chests of analytical reading.

1 comment:

seemi said...

Thank you so much for this Ustath. All Praises are due to God. We can only appreciate what books have to offer to us one we become analytical readers, and that takes time and patience. The reason we undervalue literature is because we feel as though we have to read all of it to become critical thinkers. However, critically thinking is not about quantity its about quality, quality that can only be actualized with time.